For outdoor enthusiasts, professional truck drivers, or those who just love life on the road, having the right sleep accommodations is essential. Thankfully, there are plenty of custom mattress options available that let you sleep comfortably without impeding your mobility.
Semi-truck drivers have sleeper cabs. Those who love the outdoors have campers. And with just a bit of bedding, a pickup bed can turn into a cozy place to catch some shut-eye.
But the quality of sleep possible in all these situations depends almost entirely on one thing—the quality of your truck mattresses.
So, what is a truck mattress? What do you need to take into account when buying yours? And what about size options, material types, and safety considerations?
This guide dives into all these topics and more. Plus, we’ll also look at the best truck mattresses in the industry.
Table of Contents
- What Is a Truck Mattress?
- How Should You Choose a Truck Mattress?
- The Importance of Good Sleep for Truck Drivers
- What’s Most Important in a Truck Mattress?
- What Size Truck Mattresses Are Available?
- How to Measure for a Truck Mattress
- What Is the Best Truck Mattress?
- What to Look for in a Truck Mattress Company
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Truck Mattress?
The number one goal of a truck mattress is to make sleeping while you’re on the road more comfortable.
They’re most commonly found in semi-truck sleeper cabs for long-range deliveries. But you can also use them in pickup truck campers or even in pickup beds for a night under the stars.
Truck mattresses of the past used to prioritize portability over comfort and support. As a result, most were inflatable. But as mattress technology advanced, bedmakers found new ways to combine softness and support with mobility.
Today, many of the best truck mattresses are made from innerspring or foam materials.
Though they offer more comfort than models of the past, truck mattresses are still smaller and lighter than most home mattresses.
Many come in unique lengths and widths that don’t fall into the traditional sizes like “king” or “queen.”
How Should You Choose a Truck Mattress?
Finding the right truck mattress for you can be a bit of a tricky situation. There are tons of models, materials, and features to choose from. Unlike traditional home models, truck beds and semi-truck mattresses have different size considerations that come into play, too.
During your search, be sure you’re considering the following factors.
Fits Your Space Size
You must understand precisely how much space you have to work with. That’s especially true with truck mattresses because these models typically don’t fall into the standard size specifications (king, queen, etc.).
Before starting your search, measure your space to the inch (more tips on that later). Width and length are, of course, the most important here. But it would be best to consider height since many cabs and campers tend to offer less headroom. And sometimes even a few extra inches of thickness can lead to bumped heads and crampedness.
Are you considering a custom-size mattress topper instead?
Offers Proper Support
One of the critical factors in finding the right truck mattress is the level of support it provides. This is especially true for truck drivers since many present back pain symptoms due to their profession (59%, according to one study).
With the wrong mattress, job-related back pain will only worsen. But with the right one that offers excellent support, you can reduce that on-the-job back pain and get a better night’s sleep.
Right for Your Sleep Style
Not everyone sleeps in the same position. And that can lead to having different preferences for mattress firmness.
Side sleepers tend to favor medium-soft firmness truck mattresses. That way, their hips and shoulders can sink partially in and keep the spine aligned.
For back sleepers, a medium-firm mattress prevents you from sinking in too far and curving your back.
A medium-firm to firm truck mattress generally provides the most comfortable sleep for stomach sleepers.
Made to Last
Durability is vital, too. You’ll want to be sure your semi-truck mattress is built to withstand the test of time. A truck mattress may go through more wear and tear than traditional mattresses.
Try to find mattresses made from high-quality materials, crafted by experts, and with a strong warranty.
Falls Within Your Budget
Price is, of course, always going to be a factor. Since most truck mattresses are thinner than traditional types, you can usually expect to pay a bit less. That being said, the range of prices will vary considerably (just like with home mattresses).
Most will be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to under one thousand.
But beware—you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to mattress shopping.
Other Comfort Qualities
A few other comfort qualities you may want to consider include:
- Cooling – Some truck mattresses have built-in cooling technology, like gel materials. If you run hot in the evenings, you may want to find models like these.
- Contouring – Do you prefer mattresses that contour to your body shape? A memory foam mattress might be more your speed. If you find them too restrictive, innerspring is the better route.
- Motion Isolation – If you plan on sleeping with a partner, motion-isolating mattresses can help you stay asleep if they shift at night.
- Climate Considerations – Cold climates can be harsh on foam mattresses as they tend to get harder. Take that into account when making your mattress decision.
The Importance of Good Sleep for Truck Drivers
Every professional truck driver knows the importance of a good night’s rest before heading on the road. But many don’t know just how dire drowsy driving can be.
Look at the following statistics to get a better perspective of the issue.
It’s estimated that drowsy driving causes 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries, and $12.5 billion in monetary losses each year.
- People who sleep six to seven hours a night are twice as likely to be involved in a crash compared to those who got 8 hours or more. People sleeping less than 5 hours increased their risk four to five times.
- Being awake for 18 hours produced an impairment equal to a blood alcohol concentration of 0.05 (0.08 is considered legally drunk).
- Commercial drivers are at greater risk of falling asleep in crashes than the general population.
Then there’s the back pain issue. As noted above, lower back pain is common among truck drivers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that truck drivers reported pain in the back more than any other body part.
The right mattress is a fantastic way to reduce daily back pain, get a better night’s sleep, and help you keep on truckin’.
What’s Most Important in a Truck Mattress?
While comfort and support are critical factors in truck mattresses, safety is another characteristic that trumps them.
Mattresses are legally required to meet specific fire safety standards. The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires mattress covers to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 302 (FMVSS 302) fire standard for truck mattresses.
According to this standard, the passing criteria include:
“Material shall not burn, nor transmit a flame front across its surface at a rate of more than 4 inches per minute. Additionally, if a material stops burning before it has burned for 1 minute from the start of timing, and has not burned for more than 2 inches, it shall be considered to meet the burn rate requirement of the standard. Other categories of behavior also deemed to comply with the regulations include: the material does not ignite or material self-extinguishes.”
Your chosen truck mattress must meet these safety standards. If your cab was ever inspected and did not meet this requirement, it could cause serious trouble.
Moreover, some low-quality mattress covers are supplemented with fiberglass, which can cause dangerous exposure risks.
In your search for the best truck bed mattress or semi-truck mattress, be sure you’re only buying from businesses that adhere to FMVSS 302 and use only the highest-quality safety measures (like Beloit).
What Size Truck Mattresses Are Available?
Standardized truck mattress sizes come in a range of dimensions.
The most common truck mattress size is 42” wide and 80” long. However, some other standard sizes you may see include:
It’s also worth remembering that truck mattresses tend not to fall into standard mattress sizes like “king” or “queen.” So, always measure your exact space to get the correct measurements.
While these sizes might fit some spaces, the only way to get the perfect mattress for your space is with a custom-size truck mattress. Direct-to-consumer mattress companies like The Beloit Mattress Company provide custom-size mattresses at a fraction of retailers’ cost. So you won’t have to worry about the price.CUSTOM TRUCK MATTRESSES
How to Measure for a Truck Mattress
Measuring for a truck mattress can be tricky, given the limited space. Sometimes, the shape of the space isn’t the typical rectangle, complicating the matter even further.
That’s why you must understand how to measure a truck mattress—it’s the only way to get the right bedding for your space.
Here are a few tips to help you accurately measure your area.
- Measure how long the inside of your bed is on both sides.
- Measure how wide the bed is at the head, in the middle, and at the end. We recommend 3-4 different spots.
- Measure how wide the bed is at the head and foot of your bed.
- Measure how high you want your bed to finish off the floor. Pay special attention to this step, as space in your camper, truck bed, or cab will likely be limited.
We at Beloit try to make measuring your space as simple as possible. You can even request a measuring template on our custom mattress form.CUSTOM FORM
What Is the Best Truck Mattress?
We continue to hear that Beloit custom mattresses are hands down some of the best in the industry. Below are four of our favorite truck mattresses you can add to your rig today.[ You can use our custom mattress form to order any special size or shape truck mattress. ]
1) Good: The Foam Royal
The 4” 1.2-pound memory foam core has a 36 ILD rating, giving it a medium firmness that offers solid support. It features a 1-inch, 1.5-pound density foam comfort layer and is upholstered in a cotton rayon fiber blend.
It has a low-maintenance, no-flip design and a full 1-year warranty.SHOP NOW
2) Better: The Majestic Foam
This low-maintenance, exceptionally durable mattress has a 5” 1.8-pound core with a 28 ILD rating, giving it medium support—great for back and side sleepers, tossers, and turners. It’s also more comfortable, supportive, and durable than your typical OEM mattress.
Beyond that, it’s backed up by a full 10-year warranty and features a no-flip design.
3) Better: The Basics Majestic Plush Top
Don’t let the name fool you—this mattress is a cut above anything basic. The Basics Majestic Plush Top is outfitted with plenty of comfort, support, and material features to make it one of our best truck mattresses.
It features a Comfort CoreTM Spring System for superior durability and exceptional shape resilience that holds its form. It’s just as great for back and side sleepers as it is for tossers and turners. This mattress also features a Quantum® Edge Steel Perimeter that offers comfortable support to the edges of the mattress.
A full 7-year warranty backs it up.
4) Best: The Basics Comfort Gel
On the one hand, there’s the incredible comfort of the Gel memory foam. It also helps reduce motion transfer if multiple people are on the mattress. Like the Majestic, this mattress also includes the Comfort CoreTM Spring System for added comfort and support. Plus, the Quantum® Edge Steel Perimeter ensures proper form to the edge of the mattress.
Beyond that, this mattress is also ideal for:
- Proper body alignment thanks to a firm and supportive innerspring
- Pressure point relief
- Staying cool and comfortable throughout the night
- Reduced motion transfer
- Reduced body impressions using an exclusive build style
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are just some of the most frequently asked questions about truck mattresses.
What Size Is a Truck Mattress?
That all depends on the size of your truck’s sleeping area. Some sleeper cabs can be as small as just 48 inches long. Others can be as large as 20 feet. The total size of the cab will likely affect just how much room you’ll have for a mattress.
In most cases, a 42” x 80” mattress will fit the space.
However, you should always measure your area’s exact size and shape by hand. And if you can, purchase a custom-sized truck mattress built specifically for your space. That extra tailoring can make all the difference.
What Size Mattress Is in an 18-Wheeler?
Semi-trucks and 18-wheelers are different terms used to describe the same thing.
The term 18-wheeler comes from the number of total wheels on the tractor (10) plus the number of wheels on the most common trailer (8). So, if you’re shopping for mattresses and see two different types, one for semi-trucks and one for 18-wheelers, know that they’re actually the same.
What matters is the size. Most 18-wheelers can accommodate a 42”x80” mattress. It’s the most common type.
However, sizes and shapes will vary. And some other standard truck sleeper sizes include 38”x80”, 36”x76”, 35”x79”, and 32”x79”.
What Size Mattress Fits in a Truck Camper?
A truck camper is an RV attachment that can be carried in the bed of a pickup truck. It’s quite a bit snugger than traditional motorhomes. But what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in versatility and affordability.
These types of recreational vehicles are smaller than motorhomes. However, they can often accommodate the narrower mattress sizes similar to those found in motorhomes.
Most truck campers need mattresses from 42” down to 36” wide.
That being said, it’s essential to recognize that not all campers are alike. And sizes may vary in your truck camper. That’s why measuring your sleeping area is essential before settling on a mattress.
What to Look for in a Truck Mattress Company
Not all truck mattresses are created equal, but not all companies offer the same quality products. Below are a few characteristics you should look for when searching for the right mattress.
- Experience – You’ll want to find a mattress company that’s been in the industry for years and even decades. For instance, the Beloit Mattress Company has made hand-built custom mattresses since 1929.
- Quality – Beyond just using the best materials, you’ll also want a mattress company that can accommodate custom size and shape requests. Doing so is key to getting a mattress that fits your unique space.
- Value – You’ll also want to be sure your chosen truck mattress company offers plenty of value in exchange for your hard-earned money. Look for direct-to-consumer stores like Beloit that cut out the middleman and help keep prices low and affordable.
- Craftsmanship – There is an art to building mattresses. Some companies (like Beloit) emphasized craftsmanship using techniques like hand-tufting and innovative technologies. The result is longer-lasting, more comfortable beds that customers love.
- Reputation – Consider online reviews when settling on a truck mattress provider. You’ll want to find a company with a high star rating and lots of enthusiastic customer reviews (not just a few).
- Trust – Finally, you also want to find a company that puts their money where their mouth is. A warranty or comfort guarantee is a good sign of a truck mattress store that believes in its product.
Looking for a Custom Truck Mattress?
Are you looking for a new mattress that will energize you after a great night’s sleep? Trying to find better support to reduce back pain? Or do you want soft bedding you’ll love sinking into after another long day on the road?
Finding the right truck mattress is vital to feeling your best in your big rig. And at Beloit, we’re proud to offer the best custom truck mattresses in the industry.
At the Beloit Mattress Company, we’ve been serving truckers for decades. We know how important sleep is for a productive day. And we also understand how tough it can be to find truck mattresses that fit your space. That’s why we care extra to meet your exact size and shape specifications when creating custom mattresses.
We offer a range of fabric types and materials. Whether you’re looking for all-natural, cooling, extra supportive, or anything in between, we have the expertise and customization options to build your perfect truck bed mattress.
- We’re a family-owned, 4th generation mattress supplier
- We’re factory-direct (no middlemen means you save more)
- Our mattresses are made to order and match your exact specifications
- We offer a 365-night Comfort Assurance Policy Guarantee
- You get free white-glove delivery on all orders
- Our customers love us (rated 5 out of 5 stars on Google and Facebook)
So, if you’re looking for a high-quality custom semi-truck mattress that’s comfortable, supportive, and safe, contact us today for a free quote!
GET A QUOTE
Prefer shopping in-store?
If you’re local to either of our retail stores, please visit us. You’ll be glad you did!GET DIRECTIONS
Just researching right now?