Your mattress cover has an important job. It absorbs sweat and stains, keeps dust, dust mites and bed bugs from settling into your mattress, and can extend the overall life of your bed by up to 10 years. In order to provide the best mattress protection possible, it should be cared for regularly. Here’s how often you should clean it and how you should go about doing so.
When to Wash Your Mattress Cover
Many people cover their beds with a mattress protector and forget about it, but the truth is that the mattress cover itself needs to be washed since body fluids and drink spills are likely to go straight through your sheets and end up in your mattress protector.
A good rule of thumb for ultimate mattress protection is to wash the mattress cover once a month, with the following exceptions:
- You suffer from allergies. An allergy to dust mites, pollen or even your pet’s dander will make you more sensitive to the things that settle into your mattress cover, so you may need to wash it every other week so you can breathe more comfortably in bed.
- It’s on a guest bed. If no one is sleeping in the bed regularly, there aren’t as many oils threatening to stain the mattress protector. You won’t have to wash it every month, but you’ll still have to wash it every few months since it’s likely to collect dust.
- There’s been a big spill. Any time a liquid (other than water) goes through your sheets, you’ll need to wash the mattress cover right away to prevent mildew and bacteria from growing.
“Bed bugs hatchlings are so small they can pass through a stitch-hole in a mattress.” Pest World
How to Wash a Mattress Protector
Just as you should follow specific instructions for proper mattress care, you’ll need to stick to proper guidelines to maximize the life of your mattress cover.
- Launder it as soon as you take it out of the package, before putting it on a bed to eliminate odors and soften the material.
- Wash it in cold or lukewarm water on the gentle cycle. Hot water can weaken waterproofing materials and make mattress protection less effective.
- Use non-bleach, mild detergent. Harsh chemicals in cleaners can damage the plastic membrane or the binding material.
- Tumble dry on low heat in the dryer to protect vinyl backing – or even hang dry them the old fashion way outside.
- Never dry clean a mattress protector since it can’t tolerate extreme heat.
Beloit Mattress Company Offers a Large Variety of Mattress Protectors to Suit Your Needs
Your mattress is a big investment, so it pays to put a protective layer between your sheets and your bed. Bedwetting accidents, dust mites, mildew, and even bed bugs don’t stand a chance when you follow proper mattress care.
Here are just a few of the mattress protectors we offer online and in our mattress stores:
- 6.0 Temperature Regulating Performance Mattress Protector. Deflects heat while remaining cool all night.
- Glideaway Altra Mattress Protector. Has a brushed microfiber surface, a cooling comfort layer, waterproof protection, and an allergen barrier.
- Protect-a-bed Premium Mattress Protector. Fitted sheet style terry towel surface is waterproof and allows body heat to easily pass through.
- AllerZip Smooth Mattress Encasement. Three-sided zipper provides total protection from dust mites, allergens and bed bugs.
Glideaway – Summit Pillow Protector$39.00
Glideaway – Ikkiertok Mattress Protector$99.00 – $199.00
Glideaway – Altra Mattress Protector$39.00 – $59.00
Glideaway – Minima Lite Mattress Protector$29.00 – $34.00
Bedgear DRI-TEC Mattress Protector$79.00 – $109.00
6.0 Ver-Tex Temperature Regulating Performance Mattress Protector$169.00 – $249.00
For Mattress Accessories and More, Visit a Beloit Mattress Store Near You!
We love to teach customers about proper mattress care in order to get the most out of their investment, so if you have any questions about mattress protection or want to learn about any of our products, come on into a location near you!ORDER ONLINE