Make your first dorm room feel like home. Heading off to college for the first time can produce both excitement and anxiety. As much as you’re eager to make new friends, experience a new environment, and embrace college life, it’s hard not to be nervous about moving away from home and being away from everything that’s familiar. An easy way to ease this anxiety is to create a dorm room space where you feel comfortable, basically a home away from home.
Must-Have College Dorm Room Essentials
Here are 10 college dorm room essentials you need to have during your first year away:
- Mini Fridge: Being able to keep your favorite foods and beverages cold and close at hand is a big comfort, especially once you start getting sick of the cafeteria food.
- Mirror: You’ll want to put your best face forward in your first weeks and months at college. Having a full-length mirror makes it a lot easier to feel confident when you head out on campus.
- Secure Storage: There is no guarantee that you will love your roommate. Having a secure place like a small safe to store things such as cash and credit cards can eliminate a lot of everyday worries.
- Shower Caddy: Since you will likely be sharing showers, you will have to carry all your bath products with you to and from the stall. Get a caddy to make the daily trip a lot easier on yourself.
- Bed Lifts: Storage is at a premium in a dorm room, and not all dorm beds offer much clearance underneath. Bed lifts open up space where you can keep books, towels, snacks, etc.
- Air Fresheners: The small, shared space of a dorm room can quickly get funky, and many dorm windows open only partially or not at all. A subtle air freshener can knock out many offending odors.
- Correct Sheets: To accommodate sleepers of all sizes, dorm mattresses tend to be extra long as the standard size. Be sure to bring extra-long sheets to cover the extra distance.
- Mattress Topper: One of the biggest differences between your dorm room and your room at home is your mattress. Instead of tossing and turning, bring along a mattress topper. The DormTopper is a unique mattress cover that turns even the hardest, lumpiest mattress into an ideal sleep surface.
- Laptop Risers: You’re going to spend a lot of time on your laptop. Using risers helps elevate the computer to a position more comfortable for typing and reading, and also helps to keep the internal workings cool.
- Charging Station: In college, you’re always on the go and very dependent on your phone, computer, tablet, etc. A dedicated charging station makes it quick and easy to keep everything juiced up.
Learn More From the Sleep Experts
With this list of college dorm room essentials, you can rest assured knowing you have everything in order and can focus more on achieving academic success. Just because college is hard, doesn’t mean your mattress should be too. Make your new home feel like home with the DormTopper, and explore a sleep oasis you’ve never experienced before.
For more sleep and mattress importance in college, download your FREE copy of From Zs to As: